Sunday, March 15, 2009

Saturday 9: School Daze

I saw this at Sweet Memes and wanted to give it a try.. If you would like to try it out.. check it out at Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!"

1. Do you have children in school?
Yes, all 4 of them are in school (16, 13, 8 and 4 years old)

2. Did you go to public school? If you have children did/do they?

No I went to private schools till I graduated from high school and so does my children.

But when I reached University, at that time we only had one in my city and it was public so I went to that.. plus they pay us an allowance there (isn't that just great).. now we have more universities but the new ones are all private, I'm planning for my kids to go to the public one as me and their dad have.. unless there is a reason not to.. that would depend on their grades :)

3. Are you currently in school or taking classes?
No, but every day I learn more from the world of the Internet

4. What level of education have you completed?
That would be my Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science

5. Do you, or did you have loans out for your (or your children's) education?
No for both questions.

6. What are your thoughts on the cost of tuition for colleges and universities?
It keeps getting higher and higher!

7. Did school prepare you education wise for working in the real world?
No definitely not!!

8. Did school prepare you emotionally for what lay ahead?
Also a big no-no!! But University did.

9. If you were to run a high school, what changes would you make?
I'll enforce the respect the teachers deserve from students and not treat students as customers that I need to pamper so they will not leave my school! Education is not just learning what is in the books, morals are very important, and if they don't learn that what use is there education!

Back in my days, we had deep respect for the teachers and would never talk back at them in a rude way or the school would punish us, by punishing I don't mean spanking or hitting but informing the parents, or the extreme would be expelling (could be days or years).. and when you get expelled from one school you are not to enter another till the period ends.. (but that only happens in extreme cases like when a student in my school hit a teacher, she was expelled for 3 years not to enter any other school by the Ministry, and she was from a high class family! Her family pleaded with the school but it was no use)

Now, the teacher could be interrogated for saying something like behave yourself to a student!! They have no respect for teachers whatsoever!!

I have taught for a very short while in a school and went out running! Before I say something to a student and I get expelled ;) Times are so different!

As for the curriculum, that depends on our Ministry so I can't change it, but I would surely add some other things I believe are more appropriate to enhance their experience and give them the best available!

4 comments:

Sandy Nawrot said...

Both of my kids attend private school, and you'd think we were paying for college, it is so expensive. Public schools in Florida are generally horrid.

Desert Rose said...

I chose average class schools for my kids, because the higher class schools have all those snotty kids I don't want my kids to mingle with so the fees are reasonable.. I checked those schools before so I know what's going on..
As for the public schools I'm sure there are good schools but mostly they are horrid here too.. so why risk it! I was very strict about not having them attent public because I've heard so much about it and seen so many girls from there that I don't want my kids to be in contact with them.. still not all public schools are bad but it's hard to pick.. so please I'm not trying to offend anyone :)

Bud Weiser, WTIT said...

I find your views on education exciting and interesting. Good job on the meme. Have a great day...

Desert Rose said...

Thanks Bud Weiser :)

My Blogging Awards

Labels

Books Read In 2007

  • PS, I Love You by Cecilia Ahern
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling
  • Where There is Evil by Sandra Brown
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • New Moon by Stephenie Meyer
  • The Sins of the Fathers by Lawrence Block
  • Time to Murder and Create by Lawrence Block
  • Drop Dead Sexy by Elisa Adams

Blog Archive