Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Coraline by Neil Gaiman


Year Published: 2002

My Rating: 4 stars

224 pages

Distance: Minneapolis, Minnesota = 6967.6 miles / 11213.2 kilometers

This is the story of Coraline, yeah not Caroline but Coraline :)

She moves with her parents to a new house that is divided to four apartments. She loves to explore, so one day she finds a door in their house that opens to a brick wall.. on the other side is the empty apartment that is not rented yet.. When she comes to explore a second time.. she finds the door having no bricks anymore instaed it leads to the other apartment so she goes it to discover a whole new world.

Then her parents go missing and she tries to find them by being brave and explorative with the help of a cute black cat..

I loved this story, it was fun, cute and just down right entertaining.. Coraline is a very brave intelligent child who loves exploring.. I adored the cat the most.. I want one :)

According to Wikipedia this book was awarded the 2003 Hugo Award for Best Novella, the 2003 Nebula Award for Best Novella, and the 2002 Bram Stoker Award for Best Work for Young Readers. It has been compared to Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland because of its surrealism and plot based on an alternate-reality, and has been adapted into a 2009 stop-motion film directed by Henry Selick.

BTW.. this is the first time I read for this author and I truly liked his style.. I'm planning on checking The Graveyard Book !

Jes at Shelfari posted this link for an interview with the author on the Colbert Report, it is hillarious :)

A quote I liked in the book ..

“She left us here,” said one of the voices. “She stole our hearts, and she stole our souls, and she took our lives away, and she left us here, and she forgot about us in the dark.”

Other points of view about this book:

Nymeth at Thing Mean A Lot

Bold Blue Adventure

Booknotes by Lisa

Melody's Reading Corner

The Hidden Side of a Leaf

Tip of the Iceberg

Bombastic Bagman

Becky's Book Reviews

Stainless Steel Droppings

Once Upon a Bookshelf

Out of the Blue

Book-a-rama

Rhinoa's Ramblings

Biblio Addict

Valentina's Room

Trish' Reading Nook

Bart's Bookshelf

Peeking Between the Pages

Fizzy Thoughts

10 comments:

Sandy Nawrot said...

We didn't read this book, but we saw the movie (in 3D!) and was blown away. It was fabulous! Gaiman has a special creativity, that is for sure!

Desert Rose said...

I am planning on seeing the movie now!! I'm sure it will be great and the kids would love it!

Darlene said...

I enjoyed the book too but I'll admi it, it scared me a bit. lol.

Desert Rose said...

Really Dar?! why?! Maybe you read a while ago?

Darlene said...

lol, No I just read it a few months back.

Desert Rose said...

Ok Dar it is a bit spooky, but what really scared you?! Coraline not being scared of exploring?! Talking to strangers?!

sally said...

they're making a movie about this rite? if i'm not mistaken Dakota Fanning is gonna be Coraline

Desert Rose said...

I would really like to see the movie and compare it to the book, Duchess :)

1morechapter said...

I loooved Coraline! I liked The Graveyard Book, too, but Coraline is my favorite.

Desert Rose said...

3M, I'm planning on reading The Graveyard Book since I read so much about it.. glad you enjoyed Coraline :)

My Blogging Awards

Labels

Books Read In 2007

  • PS, I Love You by Cecilia Ahern
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling
  • Where There is Evil by Sandra Brown
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • New Moon by Stephenie Meyer
  • The Sins of the Fathers by Lawrence Block
  • Time to Murder and Create by Lawrence Block
  • Drop Dead Sexy by Elisa Adams

Blog Archive