Monday, April 6, 2009

Pleasure Unbound by Larissa Ione


Year Published: 2008

My Rating: 5 stars

416 pages

Distance: Williamsburg, Virginia = 6632.4 miles / 10673.8 kilometers

This is the first book in the Demonica series.

Tayla is a demon slayer, trained and deadly. When she got wounded and her partner killed when engaged in battle, she was admitted to Underground General or UG for short. A hospital specializing on treating demons and underground creatures.

Then she meets Eidolon who is her treating doctor and also a demon, she is torn by her forever hatred of demons and all her beliefs, but she can't seem to stay away from him. Well neither could he, since he is going through a very critical stage in his life.

While fighting their emotions and their physical bounderies they are faced by yet another enemy threatening both their worlds. Will they unite body and soul??

The tension between Eidolon and Tayla is perfect, and the sibling quabbles between Eidolon and his brothers Shade and Wraith are just great! Plus there were surprises that took me off guard!

Although the book was a bit hard for me to get into, because of the new terminology of some things like the Aegis, Seminus and the S'genesis as soon as I got the hang of it, it felt like second nature.. well I know that sounds creepy.. but hey maybe I'm a half-breed :) BTW I just love the word Incubi ;)

Anyways, after that I was so engrossed in the story, the pages flew and I was sucked in their world.. it was such a good book that I would highly recommend it to any paranormal lover like me, specially if you are into Angel, Buffy or ER, because it's kind of a mixture of them all.. just WONDERFUL!!!

And believe it or not, not all demons are evil ;)

Quotes I enjoyed from the book ..

“You wouldn’t want to get blood all over that shiny rubber floor.”
“It hoses off.”

“Because that species comes out at Halloween and eats-"
“Vegetables.”
“What?”
“Her particular breed. They’re vegetarians. They mainly raid farmers’ fields in the fall because they like gourds.” Still holding her phone in one hand, he dumped his tray of bloodied tools into a nearby container with the other. “Your Aegis buddies slaughtered innocent younglings that would have grown up to do nothing worse than suck the guts out of a few pumpkins.”

“Oh, gag. I drank your blood. Why did I do that? And why do you keep a scalpel in your drawer?” She narrowed her eyes at him. “Most guys keep condoms there.”

“What’s your true form?”
“This is it.”
She gaped. “Your species looks like Playgirl models? It’s not fair.”
“What’s not?”
“You. You’re a demon. Evil should look… evil. Ugly. Wouldn’t hurt if you smelled bad, either.” Heck, she’d be happy if he just didn’t smell good. The air around him smelled faintly of spiced dark chocolate and man, making her mouth water and her libido kick into high gear.

The air-headed twit shook her head as if Tay had been serious. “Nurse Allen. I brought food, but you can’t eat until Dr. Eidolon removes the restraints.” She smiled, revealing shiny fangs. “Obviously, the restraints are necessary, seeing how your kind are merciless murderers and all.”Tayla stared.
“Pot, meet kettle.”
“Thanks, Nancy. I’ve got it. Go home. We’ll see you tomorrow.” The masculine voice shivered through Tayla like a forbidden pleasure. Vodka for the alcoholic. Cheesecake for the dieter. Orgasm for the monk. “Hello, Tayla.”
“Hey, Dr. Evil.” She didn’t look. What if she’d dreamed up his good looks? What if he had horns, hooves, and porcupine quills?


Other reviews..
Kasey or Karen @ Kesey's View
Virginia @ Bitten By Books

15 comments:

Larissa Ione said...

Oh, yay!!!! Glad you liked the book!!! The first book in a series is always scary to write, so it's awesome to hear when readers liked it!

Hope you enjoy the rest of the series too! Shade's book is much darker than Eidolon's, but Wraith's book is the lightest of the three, so I think it all balances out. *g*

Thanks for the awesome review!

Imzadi Dragonfly said...

Well if Eidolon looks like the guy on the cover of the book then no wonder she developed boundary issues. Dang!

I'll take a look into this series.

Sharon said...

Sounds like a fun read! Gonna to have to look this up!

Anonymous said...

You sure do love your vampire books!! ;0)

Desert Rose said...

Ms. Ione, I am so honored of you having the time to visit my blog :) It was such a great surprise :) Thank you!
I'm sure I'll love the rest of the series as much as I loved the first book.

Imzadi, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.. it's great!

Sharon, I had fun all through the book ;)

MelodyOfAMom, LOL I really do love vampires although Eidolon was not a wampire, someone else was :)

Jenny Girl said...

I've been thinking about this book, and you have convinced me to try it. Thanks DR! (Do you mind the abbreviation?)

Desert Rose said...

Jenny girl, it is really a great book.. which i added to my favorites list of 2009 already :)
and no I don't mind the abbreviation :)

Teddyree said...

Glad I checked out your review, I'm definitely moving this up my reading list!

Desert Rose said...

Teddyree, I'm glad that you enjoyed the review and that it made you want to slide the book up your tbr :) Do tell me what you think when you read it. I can't recommend it more.. It's just GREAT.. And so is the 2nd book, can't wait to get the 3rd one :)

The Book Resort said...

Great review.
I really loved

"Because that species comes out at Halloween and eats-"
“Vegetables.”
“What?”
“Her particular breed. They’re vegetarians. They mainly raid farmers’ fields in the fall because they like gourds.” Still holding her phone in one hand, he dumped his tray of bloodied tools into a nearby container with the other. “Your Aegis buddies slaughtered innocent younglings that would have grown up to do nothing worse than suck the guts out of a few pumpkins.”

Thank you.

Desert Rose said...

The Book Resort, thanks .. yeah I enjoyed that quote and it sure made me laugh.. Now I know there are vegetarian demons as well as vampires (from the Twilight saga) LOL!!

Sadako said...

Sounds awesome--I like. Demons are cooler than vampires anyway!

Desert Rose said...

Sadako, well I like demons but hey I LOVE vampires :) and book number 3 in this series has a vampire as the hero.. oooooh Wraith ;) I'm drooling!!

Kilina said...

Thanks for the linkage!

I really liked the quotes you included. And I didn't mention the ER vibe like you did, but really enjoyed that aspect of the books too. I'm a huge medical drama addict. I'm hoping there are more to come of the series.

Desert Rose said...

Kilina, it was my pleasure to link to your review :)
And yes there are more of the series, I have read the second book already and the third is in my TBR soon pile.. I think the forth is still to be published :)

You could check the review for the second book here .. :)

http://desertrosebooklogue.blogspot.com/2009/05/desire-unchained-by-larissa-ione.html

My Blogging Awards

Labels

Books Read In 2007

  • PS, I Love You by Cecilia Ahern
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling
  • Where There is Evil by Sandra Brown
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • New Moon by Stephenie Meyer
  • The Sins of the Fathers by Lawrence Block
  • Time to Murder and Create by Lawrence Block
  • Drop Dead Sexy by Elisa Adams

Blog Archive