Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Musing Mondays #9


Today’s MUSING MONDAYS (April 13) post is about blog comments

How do you respond to the comments on your blog?
Do you try to email individually or comment on post yourself answering the comments above?
What do you think is the best way to respond to comments and do you respond to all of them?
Do you feel slighted if you don't receive a response back from the blog owner?
(question courtesy of Jenn)

Well I have to sheepishly admit I LOVE comments! I love recieving them because it tells me that someone is reading what I'm writing.. it makes me feel loved :) pathetic right?!

Anyways, I always try to respond to every commenter individually but in one comment by grouping all the responses together in that single comment.. I don't know if you know what I mean, but you could check any post to see what I'm doing! I see that it's convenient and working ok!

I feel I need to do that to let the commenters know that I read their comment even if I'm late, I'll reply as soon as I can.. even if it's just to say thanks for passing!

I do that because I want them to know that I appreciate their effort for passing by AND leaving a comment because I know not every one who passes by leaves one.. not everyone has something to say.. I admit I do that sometimes.. well a lot of times.. but I'm not proud of it.. I like to leave comments but sometimes I don't have enough time to do that or I can't find something reasonable to say.. but I will improve my social skills.. I promise :) I know I can !!

I usually check out the commenters blogs too, and thats to read some of their posts and reply there.. specially if it's a new commenter, I go check their profile and their blog(s).. sometimes I even follow them and add them to my blog roll if I liked what I found.. that's why I have a huge blog roll!

As for emailing the commenters, no I have never done that unless there was a reason and they specified their email in the comment, I don't know if people would like being emailed just to reply to them so it never crossed my mind to do it. So I think I can say I only emailed 2 commenters!
But I wouldn't mind getting emails :)

I would love to recieve a reply from the blog owner, that would be GREAT, and if I don't I guess that would be ok.. he/she must have a reason for that!
I will continue commenting on the posts that I like or that grab my attention regardless :)

One last thing, I realised that I really liked the idea of people commenting on a post as a reply to a comment I made on their blog.. I found that really nice and always brings a smile to my face :) I will have to try doing that!


To check other's responses for this week's musing check here ..

20 comments:

wisteria said...

Hi Desert Rose....
Great Topic!
I love to get comments on my blog. I get to know people that way and learn who is following my blog.
I posted a contest yesterday and just found out that if you are signed up to follow me through google reader, I would never know. The only way I would know is if you left a comment.

I try to answer the comments as best I can. Most of the time in a group format, but individually addessed. I like to answer their comments because it is important to me.

Some comments make me giggle and laugh and the recommendations for other similar books are always appreciated.

I can never read too many comments.
I love them. So...Desert Rose...I hope this bla bla bla isn't too long.

Have a great day. Wisteria

Sandy Nawrot said...

I think we all love comments on our blog! It isn't much fun talking to ourselves, huh? That was the dispiriting part of being a new blogger. I try really hard to answer most comments, but when things get busy in life, I get behind! I guess I don't get offended if someone doesn't answer my comments though. I know that most people have full time jobs and do this, which I find hard to imagine!

Desert Rose said...

Wisteria, I'm still new with Google Reader, I just discovered it yesterday..
And no this bla bla is never long.. I enjoy comments so much.. and the longer the merrier :)
It's true when you say "I can never read too many comments." same here girl!!
You have a great day too :)

Sandy, that is so true, no one wants to talk to themselves :) well not all the time.. since i do talk to myself sometimes ;)
I know what you mean about getting behind in things.. I really try but sometimes it's not easy :)
I'm not working at the moment so I kinda have some time to spare.. but if I was working I don't imagine being able to check on my blog and my favorite blogs more than 2 or 3 times a week!

Anonymous said...

oo like this topic.. :-) I like to respond to the comment via email. However, if the person doesnt have their email address box checked in their blogger profile you can't respond to them. If it is someone I dont read, or not very often I always go over and check out their posts and comment as well. That usually happens a few times then Im reading them all the time :-)

Kara said...

I really need to work on replying to comments on my blog. I didn't know that people liked that...I am definitely going to improve in this area.

I reply by email to new people that comment on my blog - just to let them know I appreciate them stopping by.

Yes, in Google Reader it is hard to know who is following your blog and who isn't. I try to use the FOLLOW button on the blog so the person knows that I am a follower - you can still track it in Google Reader.

Nise' said...

I like to respond to comments by email and love getting responses that way as well. Most of us love comments!

ds said...

I love getting comments; it lets me know if I'm doing anything right. And I try to answer them as soon as possible, individually--even if I have to bunch a few together. As Sandy said, we're not here to talk to ourselves (I do enough of that as it is). So, thanks for the great topic and for stopping by the other day. It's nice getting to know people--which would never happen without comments!

Desert Rose said...

Lindsay, nice approach! I like that :) As for the email thing.. I'm kind of paranoid in leaving my email address exposed to avoid getting spam and unwanted emails.. if only it allows you to recieve email without exposing the actual address like a contact me thing, that would be great.. oh well :)

Kara, that's great! I guess this is one of the main objectives of these questions is to know what people expect and want.. you wouldn't have known otherwise.. we could all try to improve our commenting skills.. I know I will try my best :)
I use the follow button too, as for the Google Reader I'm still learning :) but I prefer my blog roll so I could check on what's new :)

Nise, as I told Lindsay I'm a bit paranoid about the email thing, but I wouldn't mind recieving emails from the blogging friends I know.. I mean I would give them my email and love to get emails from them but just posting it in public is what bothers me.. i think I should get over it..as for loving commnets, well who doesn't :)

ds, well said.. I agree! and it's nice to know I'm not the only one talking to myself ;) and thank you for passing by too!

Sadako said...

Good topic--I wonder this a lot, too.

I like receiving a comment back from the blogger but don't feel "slighted" if I don't since they might be busy/there are often a lot of comments, etc.

I try to resp to mind all at once--like, I'll do a comment replying to a lot of diff people so not to take up too much comment space.

Alaine said...

Well I hope you like this comment!

For a bit of fun you have been tagged by the Hunky Hero. Check this out http://alainereading.blogspot.com/2009/04/hunky-hero.html Can't wait to see who you choose!

Desert Rose said...

Sadako, It seems we agree on the same points :) thanks for passing by!

Alaine, WOW I LOVE this comment!! Hmmm now I have to think me a hunky hero .. is it limited to only one?! I have so many.. oh well I'll try to choose one :)
Thanks for the tag I appreciate it!

Melissa said...

I think all bloggers love comments!! I try to respond to comments, but have gotten behind on it. It's also sometimes hard to the generic comments, but I still try. :)

Desert Rose said...

Melissa, I know what you mean thst it's sometimes a bit hard to response but I never leave a comment unanswered intentionally.. sometimes someone comments on a past post so I don't realize it right away, but as soon as I do I reply :)

Becca said...

If wanting comments is pathetic, than I am pathetic, too! lol

I have a hard time leaving as many comments on people's blogs as I would like to, just because there is only so much time in the day! But I try to comment at least a couple of times a month on every blog I subscribe to in my Reader. If there weren't so many great blogs to keep up with, it would be a lot easier!

You comment on my blog and that makes me feel great and since I love your blog, I have 2 reasons to come and comment on yours too!

Desert Rose said...

Rebecca, so I'm not alone :)
I know there are so many great blogs and so little time.. really try my best to keep up but it's not easy :)
Thanks, I love your blog too that's why I'm there a lot but I'm not commenting as much as I would love to.. but I'm there.. lurking :)

Bella Foxx said...

Hi its me again. I copied this post to my blog. Click this link.

In regards to e-mailing replies to comments, I figure is someone has their e-mail in their profile, they must want me to e-mail them!

BTW, my e-mail is in my profile and whoever wants to can e-mail me.

I don't worry about spam, that's what spam filters are for.

Desert Rose said...

Bella, that was sweet of you.. I'll check your link :)
I'm really considering adding my email to my profile.. I guess I should not be paranoid about spam :)

Bella Foxx said...

Its not parnoid to be worried about spam. I would hold off on publishing your e-mail until Ed is gone, except I think he just spams blogs.

Desert Rose said...

Who is Ed? I've added my email to my profile and I'll give it a try and see if I like the outcome :)

Bella Foxx said...

Ed is a spammer, he hits blogs some several times on one post, leaves Chinese characters in the comment. DO NOT CLICK ON ANYTHING IN THE COMMENT. It is best just to delete it. I have not been hit by him but I know at least 4 bloggers that have.

My Blogging Awards

Labels

Books Read In 2007

  • PS, I Love You by Cecilia Ahern
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling
  • Where There is Evil by Sandra Brown
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • New Moon by Stephenie Meyer
  • The Sins of the Fathers by Lawrence Block
  • Time to Murder and Create by Lawrence Block
  • Drop Dead Sexy by Elisa Adams

Blog Archive