Friday, January 9, 2009

Memories of My Melancholy Whores by Gabriel Garcia Marquez



Published: 2004

Pages: 128

My rating: 2 stars

Weight: 3.5 ounces = 0.21875 lb.

"I changed the color of her eyes according to my state of mind: the color of water when she woke, the color of syrup when she laughed, the color of light when she was annoyed"

"Age isn't how old you are but how old you feel"

"We already are old. What happens is that you don't feel it on the inside, but from the outside everybody can see it"

A nighty-year-old journalist decides to have an adolscent virgin for his birthday, he arranges it with the madam that used to always provide him with what he need. Then a love story starts.

I really thought I would like this book, but unfortunatly the way the conversations are written just got me confused and put off. It's mostly he said/she said! As for the story, too fairy tale for my sake. I mean it took him 90 years to fall in love with someone and when he did he loved a sleeping 14 year old!! Utterly meaningless!

I gave it 2 stars because of some lines I quoted above that I liked. Overall I would not recommend this book!

Other points of view about this book :)

Sandra at Fresh Ink Books

Bethany at B&b

Things Mean A lot

5 comments:

Bella Foxx said...

I have an award for you at Bella is reading . . ., please click on the link for details.

Toni said...

I must read this one.. Love the Rose on your Blog! Very nice review. Marquez' writing is so magical.

Desert Rose said...

Bella, thanx for the award that was so sweet of you :)

Toni, since you enjoy his writing and his style then go ahead and endulge yourself :)
Thanx for loving my rose :) I love it too ;)

Anonymous said...

Well that is a total bummer! Sorry you didn't like it. Guess we can get all good ones all the time.

Desert Rose said...

J.Kaye, oh well I just had to feed my curiousity so I read it :)

My Blogging Awards

Labels

Books Read In 2007

  • PS, I Love You by Cecilia Ahern
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling
  • Where There is Evil by Sandra Brown
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • New Moon by Stephenie Meyer
  • The Sins of the Fathers by Lawrence Block
  • Time to Murder and Create by Lawrence Block
  • Drop Dead Sexy by Elisa Adams

Blog Archive