Tuesday, January 27, 2009

High Fidelity by Nick Hornby


Year Published: 1995

My Rating: 5 stars

336 pages

Weight: 14.1 ounces = 0.88125 lb.

I only picked this book up because it was tagged on Shelfari as a music book and the monthly tag for the (Play Book Tag) group for January is music, so I thought I could at least read one music related book!

I started this book planning on reading a couple of pages and then declaring that it's a boring WTF book and throw it aside.. I had every intention to HATE this book, I don't know why!! .. but once I started it I just couldn't put it down!!

It's the story of Rob, a thirty-ish record store owner who was just dumped by his girlfriend Laura.. so he starts the book by listing the five top breakup in his life (his ex-girlfriend is not in those five) !!

He is a very believable guy, flawed, self centered and hopeless! Not to mention a bit scared :)
You just hate to love him but you end up adoring him ;)

The book goes like he is really talking to you, like he is a true down to earth guy who is spilling his guts! It also talks about compilation tapes that were very famous in the 80's which I guess the new generation does not really understand :) this is before the cd's and dvd's!
Boy did I love those tapes !!!

He loves to make top five lists of almost everything imaginable, from best movies, to his parents best movies, to best records, to best club records, just name it!

For those who are into music or even are in the sidelines but were there in the 80's (like me), I truly recommend this fun read!

This book has been done into a movie by the same name starring John Cusack, I'm planning on checking it out the first chance I get. I wonder if it's as good as the book though!

8 comments:

Sandy Nawrot said...

This book sounds like alot of fun...something you need now and again! I remember those tapes too. I was the queen of compilation tapes. (I think I still have a few stashed in my closet.) Listen to this - when I was younger and didn't have the technical ability to make real compilation tapes, I would sit by the radio and wait for the targeted song and tape it with my recorder. Pathetic!

Kara said...

This book sounds like a fun read - I remember those tapes too!!

Sandy - I did the same thing - taped from the radio!! LOL

Monique said...

I think I have seen this movie. Long, long time ago. The book sounds really interesting. it is nice when you find jewels through PBT

Vickie said...

The movie is wonderful. I might be biased as it has my two boyfriends, John Cusack and Jack Black, but I think the movie was fab.
I loved making compilation tapes, too. I still make them in my cranium from time to time. I'd make a compilation CD if I could figure out how to make one. I am pretty much a techno dork.

Desert Rose said...

Sandy, it is fun.. LOL Queen of compilation tapes I like that! yeah I have some stashed somewhere, some are mine and some were done for me ;) but no tape player that works in the house :)
Taping from the radio is not pathetic I used to record the American Top 40 by Casey Kasem if you remember him.. he would put the best of the best!!

Kara, so Sandy is not alone we both did that radio thing :)

Monique, it is very interesting and true PBT has done that for me many times!

Vickie, I really have to see the movie, yeah can't make the audio CD thing, everytime I try I just ruin a CD :) tapes were much easier.. I used to have this huge tape recorder with double deck specially for recording :)

Anonymous said...

I saw the movie before reading the book and it introduced the phrase "sad bastard music" into my household.

I thought the movie was better than the book. (Probably because I had no expectations when I saw the movie but I had some when I read the book.) In an interview Hornby said he almost didn't write it. He was telling people what it was about and the reaction was lukewarm. Now he doesn't tell anyone what a book is about until it's done for that reason. :)

Anonymous said...

When my husband and I were engaged, we made a deal: he'd read Pride & Prejudice and I'd read High Fidelity. We both ended up liking our selections better than we thought we would! Nick Hornby is great. Congrats on finishing a Lit Flicks Challenge selection!

Jessica @ The Bluestocking Society

BellsforStacy said...

Love the movie. It's a John Cusack classic. Didn't know it was a book!

Thanks for enlightening me!

My Blogging Awards

Labels

Books Read In 2007

  • PS, I Love You by Cecilia Ahern
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling
  • Where There is Evil by Sandra Brown
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • New Moon by Stephenie Meyer
  • The Sins of the Fathers by Lawrence Block
  • Time to Murder and Create by Lawrence Block
  • Drop Dead Sexy by Elisa Adams

Blog Archive