Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Red Church by Scott Nicholson

The Red Church by Scott Nicholson

Year Published: 2002

My Rating: 4 stars

352 pages

The author was very generous to send me this ebook, I appreciate this introduction to his fine work.

Ronnie Day is a 13 year old boy in a rural town, having some family problems between his mom and dad. And to make things worse he has to pass by the haunted Red Church every day when coming back from school with his younger brother Tim.

This church has a history dating back to the 1860's when Reverend Wendell McFall started the idea of God having a second son. He was hung by the people of the town on a Dogwood tree outside the Church.
It is rumored that he is still haunting the Church.

Now, a new Reverend is in town. He bought the Red Church from the previous owner and wants to start preaching there.. Who is this preacher?! Non other than Archer McFall.. A decedent of the former hung preacher and preaching his same ideas. And this is not his first time in this town.

One day, when coming back from school the boys get attracted to something in the Graveyard next to the Church and discover a dying man there. They get so scared they run home but Ronnie falls and gets a broken nose.
Then more residents die in very weird unexplained deaths.. And the Church bells starts ringing.. although there is no rope!! Ronnie suspects it's the Bell Monster from the Church that is doing the killing and the ringing.

The Sheriff of the town has a past history with the Red Church when his younger brother dies there in a freak accident. He believes the Church is haunted too.. When he tells his deputy that.. she thinks he has gone insane!!

Ronnie's dad knows Archer from before, when David's wife joined with Archer years ago.. Now since he is back, Linda seems to have changed and she is joining with Archer again and becoming his devoted follower as she has been before.
It's up to David to try to save his wife and kids from Archer, because he is the only person who knows how dangerous Archer is.. And try to get the Sheriff to believe what is really happening in town to try to save it's people.

I was amazed at how great this book was.. The writing was so fluid and gripping it had me agitated when I had to leave the book and tend to my busy life! I kept wondering what will happen next.
Time flew when I was reading..  I loved the vivid details and the writing style.. The cover art is a plus too.. it just adds to the flavor of the book.
This author is a favorite author for me now!! I will check out his other books soon.

As for why I gave this book 4 stars instead of 5 well that is because of the Christian theme of the book..  It's more Christian fiction than just ordinary fiction and I don't really enjoy those undertones since I'm not a Christian myself.. but that is personal, you might enjoy that.

This is definitely a recommended book for horror fans!!

BTW, the author's website is a treat.. I totally enjoyed it.

2 comments:

Author Scott Nicholson said...

Thanks very much for taking the time to share my book with your friends, Desert Rose!

Desert Rose said...

It truly was my pleasure. Thank you for your generosity in sending the ebooks.

My Blogging Awards

Labels

Books Read In 2007

  • PS, I Love You by Cecilia Ahern
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling
  • Where There is Evil by Sandra Brown
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • New Moon by Stephenie Meyer
  • The Sins of the Fathers by Lawrence Block
  • Time to Murder and Create by Lawrence Block
  • Drop Dead Sexy by Elisa Adams

Blog Archive