Monday, December 7, 2009

Marked - House Of Night 1 - by PC Cast and Kristin Cast


Marked - House Of Night 1 - by PC Cast and Kristin Cast
Year Published: 2007
My Rating: 4 stars
348 pages

Zoey Redbird is a normal 16 year-old teenager in a normal highschool with a normal boyfriend. Then one day she gets Marked to be a vampyre. How cool could that be??
So she has to present herself in a different school specially for fledglings called House Of Night.
Zoey has to leave her previous life, her family, her friends and her school. Not to forget her boyfriend too.
She starts her first day by becoming mentored by the high priestess herself, then witnessing an obcene incident, meeting some friends and some very nasty ones too.
I trully injoyed this book, it has a lot of action and it's full of fun and humor. Zoey is a very lovable character that you soon start to admire.
I couldn't help comparing the book to Harry Potter and Twilight because I felt it's kind of a blend of both.. Vampyres going to Vamp school and Zoey being the Harry Potter of Vampyres :D

Quotes I enjoyed from the book:

"But I'm sixteen! I can's even parallel-park! How am I supposed to know how to be your eyes and ears?"

Believe in yourself and you will find a way. But remember, darkness does not always equate to evil, just as light does not always bring good.

"Do you think I could have a cat?" I asked.
"If one chooses you, you will belong to him or her."
"Chooses me?"
Neferet smile and stroked Skylar, who closed his eyes and purred loudly. "Cats choose us; we don't own them."

I remembered the Goddess's words, Zoey Redbird, Daughter of Night, I name you my eyes and ears in the world today, a world where good and evil are struggling to find balance.

How could anyone normal choose Aphrodite as her name? Please. Talk about delusions of grandeur.

One thing growing up in a small town like Hentietta taught me is that it's best to mind your own business if you want someone to stay your friend.

Also, it is assumed that their leader is being groomed to be a High Priestess, so she's supposed to be the heart, mind, and spirit of the school - as well as a future leader in vamp society, et cetera, et cetera, blah, blah.

Horses are not big dogs, Nor are they a little girls's romanticized dream image of a perfect best friends who will always understand you."

"Okay, there's no need to forever make fun of my unfortunate ex-infatuation with Leonardo!" I glared at him, feeling more like myself than I had in hours. "Actually, it's kinda like my unfortunate ex-infatuation with you. Only it didn't last as long, and you didn't make a bunch of cheesy but cool movies."

Well, it was nice to see that some things never change. Heathwas still Heath - cute, but not the brightest Crayola in the pack.

"Could you make a sound or something! What are you, part spider? You scared the hell outta me."

Make me always ready to come to you with clean hands and straight eyes. So when life fades, as the fading sunset, my spirit may come to you without shame.

No comments:

My Blogging Awards

Labels

Books Read In 2007

  • PS, I Love You by Cecilia Ahern
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling
  • Where There is Evil by Sandra Brown
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • New Moon by Stephenie Meyer
  • The Sins of the Fathers by Lawrence Block
  • Time to Murder and Create by Lawrence Block
  • Drop Dead Sexy by Elisa Adams