Sunday, October 26, 2008

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden



From the mountaintops, the ocean looked like a crumpled blanket in turquoise with stains of dark blue..

I was skeptical before reading this book and kept putting it off for so long, because I didn't know what to expect by reading the memoirs of a prostitute, for that is what I thought a Geisha is!!

I was so mistaken, it starts with a 9 year old girl torn from her family and sister to be raised in a foreign city with complete strangers.. The horrors she faces, the hardships she endures, the practice she works hard on, to emerge as a Geisha. And not just any Geisha but one of the most successful and popular one too.

It was so passionate, so close to your heart you can't not love this girl and feel for her all the way.. It's like she is talking to the reader.. I felt for the poor girl and it was like she is talking to me and pouring her heart out.. It was just so hard to put down.. I always wanted to know what will happen next!!

It was so captivating, for me it was by far one of the best I've read this year and is added to my favorite list.. I'm sure to recommend it to anyone who listens.

I saw the movie.. and I was disappointed.. it is so unlike the book.. the emotions and turmoil is not evident.. it was way too fast, things are different .. even the end in the movie seems like an open end although the ending in the book is not.The movie does not allow you to understand the cultures, traditions and superstitions in Japan those days which are explained in detail in the book.. it nice to learn new things and I certainly did with this book..Some pictures from the movie..
















4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're cruising through the Lit Flicks Challenge! I've read this book and seen the movie. I have to say I enjoyed the book a lot more than the movie. Congrats!

Jessica @ The Bluestocking Society
http://thebluestockings.com

Desert Rose said...

Yes, the book is much better, and I'm sure I would not have understood the movie if I didn't read the book first! The book explains a lot of things that were jusy bypassed in the movie!

Glad you agree :)

BTW, I joined your brother's challenge too, sounds fun!

blakecgriffin said...

I, of course, have seen the movie, and haven't read the book. I am encouraged by the fact the book sounds like it's better, because I didn't so much enjoy the movie. Nice review.

Blake
www.bitchinfilmreviews.com

Desert Rose said...

blakecgriffin, the book is much better you should give it a try :)

My Blogging Awards

Labels

Books Read In 2007

  • PS, I Love You by Cecilia Ahern
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling
  • Where There is Evil by Sandra Brown
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • New Moon by Stephenie Meyer
  • The Sins of the Fathers by Lawrence Block
  • Time to Murder and Create by Lawrence Block
  • Drop Dead Sexy by Elisa Adams