Thursday, April 29, 2010

Don't Tell by Karen Rose

Don't Tell by Karen Rose

Year Published: 2003

My Rating: 5 stars

This is the first book in the series. It is also the first book I read for this author and will not be the last :)

Mary Grace Winters suffered terribly from her abusive cop husband and knew there is no way to survival for her and her son except by running away and staging her own death.
Now seven years later as Caroline Stewart, she started to feel safe and considers risking her heart to love with the new Dr. Max Hunter that enters her life as her new boss. Both of them having pasts they are running away from and scars in body and soul.

But her past creeps up on her when her husband gets suspicious of her disappearance after all this time when new evidence arises suggesting that she and his son are alive. Now he wants his family back and will stop to nothing to accomplish that.

This was my first read by Karen Rose, and I loved it. I was gripped from the first page, had extreme trouble putting the book down. Such a thriller.
The characters were very likable and it really discussed a very important topic which is spouse abuse. You could feel Caroline's emotions and reactions while reading.. Plus the romance that blossemed between her and Dr. Hunter was so romantic it left me starry eyed :)
I also loved David Hunter, Max's brother.. He is so full of humor and you could feel the brotherly love shared between the brothers.
Dana Dupinsky is Caroline's best friend, through good and bad she is there for her, wonderful character.

It's so hard to keep my mouth shut and not write any spoilers. But i highly recommend this book for all those romance/suspence/thriller lovers out there. Really, dont miss out on this!

I will soon start her second book in the series "Have You Seen Her"?

Quotes I enjoyed from the book:

It was still a sound that could make her shudder. But she didn't shudder. It was as unwritten law in rehab. You never showed pity or revulsion for those around you. It was a very strong ethic amongst the broken and recovering.

"Did he notice you, too?"
Caroline shrugged. "He looked at me."
Dana leaned back in her chair, her brown eyes alive with speculation. "How?"
Caroline closed her eyes. Like I was the only woman in the world, she thought. Like I was... desirable. Pretty. Like he wanted me. Little Miss Naive. Like you could tempt a man like Max Hunter. Right.
Dana whistled. "Wow. Did you blush like that when he looked at you?"
Caroline felt her stomach turn over. "Probably."

Anticipating the evening as he'd anticipated nothing in a very long time. Visualizing kissing her goodnight, hoping she'd be equally responsive to his kiss as she'd been to that simple touch on her lower lip.
God. He'd barely touched her and he'd been ready to come. She'd shivered every time he brushed her lip with his thumb, her eyes growing wider with each breath. She was a novice to whatever she was feeling, those eyes of hers radiating trepidation, then wonder.

"I know you're upset because you love me. I'm asking you to love me enough to trust me"

He'd backed away and she hadn't even asked him to. he'd backed away simply because he'd sensed her discomfort. He hadn't pushed. Hadn't yelled. He didn't even look angry. Her momentary fright had been just that. Momentary. Relief mixed with confidence. The combination was powerful and strange.

"Your mouth. Meant to be kissed." he kissed her tenderly. "By me. I've dreamed of you, every night. And every dream ends the same way. With your hair spread across my pillow."

He felt the muscles of her back again to relax and was stunned to find soothing her was as erotic as kissing her.

"Don't tell me you haven't dreamed about spending the rest of your life with me." He took her hands and put one on each side of his face. "Don't tell me you haven't dreamed of waking up with me. Don't tell me you haven't dreamed of the babies we'd make together."

"I love you, Caroline," he whispered fiercely, his voice shaky and watched her expression soften, her eyes fill. "I promise I'll only make you happy. I promise you'll never be afraid again." 

No comments:

My Blogging Awards

Labels

Books Read In 2007

  • PS, I Love You by Cecilia Ahern
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling
  • Where There is Evil by Sandra Brown
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • New Moon by Stephenie Meyer
  • The Sins of the Fathers by Lawrence Block
  • Time to Murder and Create by Lawrence Block
  • Drop Dead Sexy by Elisa Adams