Thursday, October 16, 2008

Atonement by Ian McEwan



Date Published: 2001
368 pages

2 stars




I had high expectations for this book, but I can't say they were fulfilled!

It's a story set in England during WWII, Briony a 13- year old girl accuses her sister's lover of a hidious crime which he pays for, and eventually ruins his life and her sister's for that matter.It didn't help her either because years later she felt guilty and tried to atone for this crime/accusation..

I couldn't relate to any of the characters, Briony was a selfish brat of a girl thinking she's a know it all, her sister's love story is not the main event so not enough details for me to feel anything for the lovers, part 2 of the book was basicly the horrors of war which i'm not interested in reading.. It was a VERY slow read for me.. I had to drag myself to read it just to get points for the LIO challenge.. pathetic, right ?!

Anyways now I know 1 less author for me to read for.. I can't say I hated the book, at times it was ok but mostly it was slow and boring!!

If your in favor of open ended/war/lost love stories.. then indulge yourself with this book

Then I saw the movie and I was amazed how enchanting the movie is, you can feel the characters and hate Briony even more, if that is even possible!!

Here are some pictures of the movie..

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This book has been close the the top of my TBR list forever. I really need to get to it. I've loved everything else I've ever read by Ian McEwan. Congrats on finishing yet another Lit Flicks Challenge selection.

Jessica @ The Bluestocking Society
http://thebluestockings.com

Desert Rose said...

Good luck on this one, but if you like his writing I think you will like the book.. I preferred the movie :)

blakecgriffin said...

I'm sad you were a little disappointed with this book. I thought it was best movie of last year, and like my sister, it's been at the top of my TBR list for a long time. But maybe I won't let the book tarnish the movie for me.

blake
www.bitchinfilmreviews.com

Anonymous said...

I'm finding that most either love or intensely dislike McEwen's writing. I actually read this book twice - by accident! The first time ~ 6-7 years ago, it must have been quite forgettable but the second time, I kept having that dejavu feeling. I looked up my old journals and sure enough I had discovered I had already read it. I ADORED it the second time and loved the movie, too. I went on to read On Chesil Beach which I also liked very much.

My Blogging Awards

Labels

Books Read In 2007

  • PS, I Love You by Cecilia Ahern
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling
  • Where There is Evil by Sandra Brown
  • Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • New Moon by Stephenie Meyer
  • The Sins of the Fathers by Lawrence Block
  • Time to Murder and Create by Lawrence Block
  • Drop Dead Sexy by Elisa Adams